Friday, August 14, 2009

Performing in Moe Bandy's Blood: Has Show at Jim Stafford Theatre in Branson Missouri

By Joshua Clark
Branson Daily News Staff Writer


Success never came easy for Moe Bandy.

Born in Meridian, Miss., in 1944, Bandy’s family relocated to Texas when he was in the first grade. Bandy was taught to play the guitar by his father, but made little use of the ability until he was in his teens.

“My father taught me a few chords on the banjo, so I knew a little bit,” Bandy said. “They used to dress me up in a little cowboy hat. I’d sing in talent contests and I also played for relatives.”

As Bandy grew older, he fell in love with the sport of rodeo. He tried bronco-busting and bull-riding and by the time he was 16, he was competing in rodeos all over Texas.

“I put my music aside and concentrated on being a rodeo rider,” Bandy said. “I also worked as a sheet-metal worker in addition to being out on the road all the time. But I loved it all the same.”

In 1962, after breaking the same collar bone twice in the same week and getting a horn to his left side, he began to pursue a career in country music.

Bandy and a few fellow musicians began playing during their downtime when they were asked to play in a bar.

“We played that first night and got a great response,” Bandy said. “They invited us back, and Moe Bandy and the Country Partners were paid $5 a night.”

Click here for the rest of the story:
http://www.bransondailynews.com/story.php?storyID=12602

No comments:

Post a Comment